Sunday, March 20, 2011

Screen Issues!

The screen initially had some issues. It was squished horizontally and washed out with some banding. I was a little worried it would be an expensive repair but after doing some research online all signs pointed to a ‘Cap Kit’ being the likely fix for those symptoms.

A Cap Kit is a ‘Capacitor Kit’, a selection of electrical capacitors that replace burned out capacitors on the Monitor Circuit Board. I bought mine from Bob Roberts, an Arcade Parts Guru.
Here is his site: http://www.therealbobroberts.net/

You need to be able to solder them on to the board or have someone experienced help you. Also another pair of hands to take out the Monitor will be great as they weigh about 50 lbs!
Here is what the screen looked like before the capacitors were replaced.

Pretty bad!
But, after a Cap Kit replacement, which probably only took a couple of hours with the help of my Brother-in-law .....




Awesome!! It really is amazing what replacing a few capacitors can do. And the kit only costs around $15. I got the deluxe kit which also includes Audio Board Caps and I highly recommend you replace them all at once, it’s not fun taking that monitor out!

That also reminds me, it can be VERY DANGEROUS working on Monitors. They can have a very strong electrical charge stored inside even after you have unplugged them.You need to take the appropriate care when working on them.

Read up about how to safely Discharge a monitor! Don’t let that put you off though. So long as you follow the steps you will be just fine!

So there you have it, my screen is now as good as new!

1 comment:

  1. James I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a DK jr restoration www.chasebear.mm@gMail thanks

    ReplyDelete